A big part of traveling abroad is eating the local food. Eating local, is a great way to get to know the culture as well. One of the favorite recipes of volunteers that come to Guatemala is Guacamole A.K.A “GUAC” , to make some good old finger-lickin’ Guatemalan style Guacamole all you have to do is this:
8 ripe avocados. How to know if they are ripe? Check this guide out.
1 white onion
1 teaspoon of Salt
1 spoon of oregano
1 spoon of pepper
¼ cup of parsley
This makes a bowl for four
- Cut the avocados and put them in a bowl.Keep one of the seeds!
- Smash all the avocados with a fork until the textures is nice and creamy
- Dice onions and add to the bowl.
- Cut lemons and mix in juice.
- Dice parsley leaves and add in to the bowl.
- Add oregano ,pepper and salt.
Tip: add in one of the seeds (whole)of the avocados to help the Guacamole stay fresh , this is because the seed releases essentials oils that prevent the Guacamole turning brown.
Other ingredients you can try with your Guac:
-Mayonnaise to make it creamier
Volunteer approved recipe!